From: "Jerry" <blueberryf...@bellsouth.net>
To: "Sheep Group" <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:34:00 PM
Subject: [Blackbelly] Parasite deaths

Fellow Blackbelliers,

I have lost 3 ram lambs (all born in January) in the past 6 weeks, all from
anemia due to parasites.  I have had ABBs for 6 years now and lost a few
others along the way but nothing like this year.  I have been operating on
the theory of letting those least resistant ones die out rather than pass on
their genes.  But three out of about 40 is too many  and I took another one,
clearly with anemia, and acting lethargic, to the vet today.  These were all
destined for the November market.  The vet recommended Panacur at 10 ml per
animal for the entire flock today and again in two weeks .  Our farm is in
hot, humid South Mississippi with lots of rain and grass.  Our flock is
divided into three sub-flocks.  Two of these smaller groups are rotated onto
various paddocks of pasture when the grass gets higher in another paddock.
The biggest group is on more pasture than they can eat down (in the spring
and summer anyway).  All of the deaths have occurred in the smaller two
flocks.

My questions are these:  Those of you who do not deworm, what is your
average loss rate?  I suppose it would be different in arid climates than in
humid ones.
                                         Has anyone in a similar
environment to mine found that you have to deworm regularly to keep the
flocks healthy?  And if so, how often?  And with which pharmaceuticals?

Thanks for your help and for any advice you may have,

Jerry Kirby
Windmill Farms LLC
Picayune, Mississippi