Thank you to everybody for your kind and thoughtful responses! Sorry I haven't responded sooner. As you can imagine, I am exhausted from the stress and the widespread uncertainties of this situation (as Carol Elkins mentioned in a private e-mail, "You must feel like you are under siege"). But I am making headway, and it really helps to get such helpful advice from those who have been raising sheep for a long time.

By the way, I should have mentioned, these are not newborn lambs. They are between 3 and 4 months old, and are 30 - 40 pounds in weight. They have been weaned for about 2 - 3 weeks, and are with a group of adult ewes (not their mothers). So in my opinion, they are at a fairly naive and vulnerable stage in their lives. And if attacked, chances are fairly good that those adult ewes will not help them.

As some of you have mentioned, the signs seem to point to cougar. However, the puzzling thing is that 2 are missing at a time. That might indicate human rustling. But if there is more than one cougar working together, it is possible that more than one lamb could have been carried off in the same night.

Anyhow, I have been putting up my ewes and lambs at night, into a well-lit enclosure between the barn and the house, well away from the perimeter fence. Like Mike Smith indicated, it is somewhat of a hassle to gather the stock every night, but it is worth it for the time being. And I'm doing a count every night at the gather point, and every morning before letting them out.

Also, yesterday I brought home two Pyrenees pups, from a breeder who raises them with sheep as guardian dogs. They will be introduced to the stock gradually as they mature. And tomorrow I am going to receive an adult male Anatolian working guardian dog that is good with lambs as well as adults. I will put him right to work in the lamb area. So I am very happy about both of these situations.

Additionally, my neighbor and sheep mentor has made arrangements for a hunter/tracker to bring over and put up two hunting cameras (the infrared type, I think) to monitor the woods side of my property just outside my back fence line.

The other things that have been suggested (motion detectors, wireless alarms, etc.) are also excellent ideas and I will also begin putting these into the plan as well. It has also been suggested that I should put up a few "warning -- guard dog" signs to hopefully deter any two-legged rustlers.

I share the opinion of several of you, that (unless this is a human rustling situation), it is most likely a cougar that is carrying off these large lambs without a trace.

Hopefully this will put an end to the predation or rustling, whichever it turns out to be!

Thank you all again.  This is a wonderful and helpful listserve!

Mary Swindell