Pipestone carried the following advertisement for their Selenium/Iodine Premix in this month's Pipestone Veterinary Clinic Sheep Newsletter and I am curious about what the rest of you think. I've never had a sheep die from sheep mineral, so the ad's leading sentence caught my eye.
__________________________

How many lambs and rams have to die before we quit using sheep mineral?

*There is no justification for feeding phosphorus to sheep.
*Consumption of sheep mineral is controlled by salt and flavoring agents, not by need. *Sheep generally need salt, iodine and selenium in addition to their ordinary diet intake. *Feedlot lambs need 20 lbs. of salt and 30 lbs. of limestone per ton of concentrate ration. Ammonium chloride can be added to further control urinary calculi.

Selenium/Iodine Premix (#8770) now contains trace minerals and iodine as well as selenium. Sodium molybdate is included to help ward off excess copper. We have added iodine and trace mineral to our sister product Vitamin E-Se-Iodine Premix (#6249). This should be fed win-ter and spring as Vitamin E content of feed stuffs declines.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Mix 1 lb. of either premix with 50 lbs. of salt.
Offer salt free choice.
#8770Selenium/Iodine Premix 5#  10.00
#6249Vit E/Se/Iodine 5# - $27.50

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz