From: Mary Swindell <mswin...@siu.edu>
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info; SHession <slhess...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Rejected lambs

Sandy,

Yes, I strongly suggest a stanchion gate on the front side of your lamb pen.
Put the mother's head through it (sticking ouward through the stanchion into
the hallway outside the pen).  Place a tub of nice dry hay and a bucket of
water just under her head so she can always eat and drink.  The stanchion bars
should be tight enough so that she cannot pull her head out, but she should be
able to move her head upwards and downwards to eat, drink, and (if needed)
change to a lying down position.  You can leave her in there from a few days to
as long a 2 weeks!  Talk to her sweetly and softly when you're checking on her,
and make sure she can always reach her hay and water.  If you want to feed her
a handful of grain once per day that is fine, but don't worry about the other
things (minerals, salt) during this period.  Pretty much just leave her alone
and quiet.  Keep a watch on whether the lambs are getting milk from her.  She
will try to kick them
 at first with her back legs, and they may be discouraged at first.  You may
want to feed each lamb a bottle dose of colostrum right away to make sure they
at least get that.

Part of getting her to accept her lambs is that as she feeds them, they will
begin to smell like her as her milk penetrates them.  One reason she may be
rejecting them (other than the fact that she is young) is that her teats may be
tender or sore.  Be sure to check them, and to milk both sides to be sure there
is good milk, and no signs of mastitis, sores, or infections that could be
causing her pain.  Another thing to look out for is the teeth of these lambs.
Particularly if she is rejecting the ram lamb, be sure to check his teeth for
overly sharp or pointed front teeth.  I have never done this, but I have heard
from an old-time breeder friend that sometimes if a lamb's teeth are overly
sharp, and if he is an aggressive nurser, it hurts the mother's teats.  So this
man says you can hold the lamb and gently file down the top edges of his front
teeth with a small file.

As for the ewe, do not be discouraged with her if she seems mad or depressed.
She must get with the routine to save the lives of her lambs.  Don't let her
out of the stanchion unless her lambs are fully nursing and she is not doing
anything to show anxiety or aggression to them.  This may take 3 - 5 days.  Or
it may take 7 - 10 days.  Or 12 - 14 days.  Don't feel sorry for her and let
her out too soon.  More time, rather than less time, is better.  Provide fresh
bedding under where she is standing, so that she has a clean place to lie down
if she chooses.  Then after you finally do release her from the stanchion and
exchange it for a normal pen front side, be sure to keep her and the lambs in
there for a few more days to make sure she has really bonded with them and is
dedicated to accepting them.

Bottle feeding lambs to weaning is a huge task, and I always want to avoid that
choice if possible.  The stanchion gate has worked for me many times, turning
"psycho" mothers into dedicated moms who support and nurse their lambs fully,
up to weaning age.

I have a handbuilt stanchion gate (made from the Midwest Plans blueprints), but
you can also get some very nice ones through Sydell or D-S Livestock.  If I can
find the photo of my handmade stanchion gate, I'll send it to you.

Mary Swindell