Hi Lucinda,

I read the following somewhere that may help:

"If she is well in herself otherwise, you might consider collecting a urine sample for your vet to analyze. The vet will be able to analyze it and determine if there is anything abnormal. They will be able to tell you if this is frank bleeding or if it is a hemorrhagic discharge which might be more suggestive of uterine infection. The vet will also be able to appreciate changes to the urine's white blood cell content (a marker of bladder and kidney infection) and the vet will be able to analyze this urine under the microscope to rule out bacteria (another sign of an infection) renal casts (which is seen with kidney infection), crystals (a sign of urine crystalluria or bladder stones), and they will have an eye out for any obvious cancer type cells. Overall, this is quite a non-invasive means of checking if there are any of the these differentials could be affecting Daisy.

Depending on the findings, you may have the vet check her at that stage. They will be able to have a feel within vulva to rule out disease based at that location and a general feel (or perhaps ultrasound) to tell you which of our other concerns are lurking and causing this abnormal and potentially sinister bleeding.

So, since bleeding is quite abnormal in this situation and likely a sign of something that might lead to future illness, we do want to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. Therefore, it would be prudent to collect a urine sample for testing and even having feel in the vulva for abnormal masses or wounds. Depending on the findings from these, you will be in a better position to narrow down our concerns and address her condition effectively for her. "

Carol