some sugar, and then covered with
alcohol.

The layers, with the sugar and alcohol,
are repeated for various fruits as they
come into season.

A Rumtopf can be kept for up to a year.

Make sure the fruits are always covered
in alcohol.

If the fruit ferments, discard the Rumtopf.

The fruits will ferment if not covered with
enough alcohol.

I made mine in one very large glass jar
(maybe 2 gal.). I particularly like it when
the peaches are in and blueberries made it
interesting.

I seem to recall my recipe saying NOT to use
fresh pineapple but canned is OK.
This recipe uses pineapple however. Good luck.

Rumtopf

Sliced fruit such as peaches, nectarines,
apricots, mangos. plums and pineapple.

Or small whole fruits like blueberries,
blackberries, currants, gooseberries,
strawberries, or pitted cherries.

Granular sugar

Dark rum (the higher the proof, the better)

1. Sterilize large glass jars in boiling water
   ( I used quart canning jars).

As fruit comes in season, alternately layer
several inches of fruit in the jars, then add
enough sugar to cover fruit( or sugar to taste).

2. Pour enough rum to completely cover each
   layer of fruit mixture.

3. Cover jars (do not seal canning jars just
   cover tops).

   Store in a cool dry place.

4. Keep adding layers of different fruit,
sugar and rum until jars are nearly full.

The amount of fruit, sugar and rum will vary
according to the size of jars and fruit.

Using 2 cups of fruit and a half cup sugar
per layer is a good start for large jars.

5. For best results select fruit that will
retain shape and color.

Apples, pears, and bananas do not work well.

6. Let fruit stand for several months.

To serve:

Spoon fruit mixture over pound cake or ice cream.

Lavanda;s note:  for years I have said I would make this/
This is the year!

webhosting and e-mail storage!