Randy McMurchy wrote:
Jeremy Utley wrote these words on 04/12/05 23:23 CST:

Alphabetical serves no useful purpose, when it contradicts the
proper build order. At least that's my opinion, anyway.

We can go back to the other order, but I put those sections in alpha order because of a problem I was having. I am building a new system and am selecting what packages I want as I go. I'm not building everything but adding what I need incrementally.

I've built over a hundred packages in the last week. What I found was that I was continually scanning the TOC for packages. The size of the TOC and the non-alpha order made it difficult for me to quickly find the package I wanted. When I did find the package, I went there and followed the dependency links. I did not want to "build everything in order."

Please note that I did not update every chapter. The KDE and GNOME sections are designed to be built in the presented order. I changed only the Servers section and the Programming chapter.

From a cursory review, it looks like you are complaining about three packages:

  doxygen depends on Python
  expect depends on tcl and tk
  ruby depends on tk

Of these, doxygen and ruby have forward references out of the chapter.

I don't see any packages in the servers section where the order of packages is significant.

Please sit back and relax. Consider another view. I'll certainly consider yours. What really is the impact?

  - Bruce