Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I've not mentioned this yet, however, it's probably time to. I
> find the new indentation method to be *very* difficult to work
> with.
>
> What is the point in it?
>
> To me, it just makes the job of updating the packages more
> difficult. It should be the other way around. I have not been
> indenting for this reason. To me, no indentation is easier to
> enter and easier to read.
>
> I do normally indent any program code or scripts I write, but I
> find the XML easier to read without indentation. Perhaps I'm just
> used to reading it without indentation and will change over time,
> however that doesn't fix the fact that it is more time consuming
> to do the indentation.

LOL.  It just goes to show you that an intelligent person can learn to
work with almost anything.

Research studies hve scientifically shown that optimal indentation for
code is 2 to 4 spaces.  Our xml is really code, but not in the
traditional sense.  We are indeed 'programming' a book.   The
indentation is to help us, the human editors, get the xml tags right.

Software engineering studies show the most efficient way to remove
errors is to do so closest to the point of error injection.  If we can
do that before even saving the file and running xmllint, we are more
efficient.  That's where the indentation helps.