Hi all,

Today I will begin migrating the book to GNOME-2.10.1. I'm very
pleased so far with the desktop, and the ease of installation of all
the packages. I have not yet installed all the add-on packages, so I
can't speak for the *entire* GNOME suite.

I installed GNOME into /opt/gnome-2.10, and it seems much cleaner
than the 2.8 version in that I have not had to put in one hack to get
things working right. The 2.8 version required a hack to get some of
the icons working in some of the themes.

Here are some notes that I would like input on from anyone who can
provide some information.

1. The [Applications-System Tools-Bonobo Component Browser] main menu
item does not appear to have an icon installed in the
$GNOME_PREFIX/share/applications/bonobo-browser.desktop file. I hand
edited the file to fill in the blank Icon= parameter and the icon
displayed just fine.

2. Yelp is not displaying some of the characters correctly. It appears
to be the the [id="part1-1"] type stuff in the XML files. I'm not sure
if this is because I screwed up and first installed a newer version of
Yelp than what was called for by the GNOME team. I had to remove all
the files and use the specified version, but I'm not sure that some file
may have been updated that I did not remove before installing the
specified version.

3. The gnome-screenshot utility is now included with the GNOME-utils
package and not in the core packages.

Overall, everything works as expected and is a nice comfortable desktop.
Anyone with any input about GNOME-2.10.1 that you are willing to share
would be appreciated.

--
Randy

12:49:00 up 38 days, 12:22, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.01, 0.00