bob foltrigg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is my first (b)lfs experiment so what I've found may not be a
> genuine build-description-bug, but still, here it comes.
>
> I have a working LFS 6.4 setup, and am now building X, based on
> chapter 23 of blfs-svn-20090103. Everything went fine and dandy until
> compiling the server which produces this error in
> xorg-server-1.5.3/render:

> glyph.c:30:25: error: openssl/sha.h: No such file or directory
> glyph.c: In function 'HashGlyph':
> make[1]: *** [glyph.lo] Error 1
>
> This can be resolved by installing openssl, so maybe this should be
> added as a dependency?
>
> Note: I went straight to building X after I was able to boot into my
> base LFS system, and installed only the required (and transitively
> required) dependencies for the X components plus Mesa.

I think the first thing most people install is ssl/ssh so you c/an ssh into the
box and run additional builds from another workstation that has a gui.

That said, I think you are right about ssl being needed for xorg-server.  In
configure is the comment:

# OpenSSL used for SHA1 hashing in render/glyph.c, but we don't need all of
# the OpenSSL libraries, just libcrypto

If you logged the configure command, look for the message:
   error: Package requirements (openssl) were not met:  ...

I'm surprised that configure didn't fail.