On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 12:01 +0300, Shane Shields wrote:
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> >Has anyone got a serial port  mouse going under xorg(6.8.1)?
> >
> >What are the relevant xorg.conf lines please?
> >
> >I'm getting "unknown protocol" messages. Are they for real?
> >
> >With "auto" as the protocol, I get "Cannot determine protocol" type
> >messages. But gpm is happy with it.
> >

> You would need IM/PS2

Not for a serial mouse, surely? If it's an old Microsoft serial mouse,
it's probably using a more specific driver.

Declan - have you tried specifying "Microsoft" as the protocol? Running
xorgconfig makes the following comment under mouse selection:

# The recommended protocol is Auto. If you have a very old mouse
# or don't want OS support or auto detection, and you have a two-button
# or three-button serial mouse, it is most likely of type Microsoft.

Alternatively, the kernel might support serial mice through
the /dev/input/mice device, in which case you can just use that device
and the Auto or IM/PS2 protocols should work. There's an option for
serial mice in the kernel under "Device Drivers -> Input devices", but
I'm not sure if it ties into the /dev/input framework. You could try it,
I guess.

Simon.