Randy McMurchy wrote:
> David Fix wrote these words on 08/31/05 14:12 CST:
>

>>Just kidding.  :P  I actually have no idea, I'm just hoping to at least put
>>a smile onto your face.  I've thought of doing some kind of package
>>management myself, but seeing stuff like this always makes me cringe...
>>Anyone else have any smart ideas or experience?
>

> I use package management via little scriptlets I put into my build
> scripts. Putting it simply, it takes a picture of the filesystem
> before and after the installation of a package, then compares those
> pictures for differences. The differences are what is installed by
> the package.
>
> Works well, however, it won't include files that are installed by
> a package that overwrite an existing file. But that is a pretty
> rare occurrence.

There is a released package (it's a script really - but quite
sophisticated) that does this: Guarded Installation Tool.  I used it for
some time - it's drawback is that as the filestore fills up it gets
progressively slower.  There used to be a LFS hint about it, but I don't
think it's maintained.

http://home.wtal.de/ib/freisoft/

(Although it's German on the website, the package has English docs.)

R.