On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 18:29 +0200, Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Monday 05 September 2005 22:31, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> > Tip #1 - don't "reply" to a post when you're posting a new problem.  It
> > screws up email threading for those of us using sane MUAs.
>
> I did not know this. I asumed, that changing the Reference created a new
> message. You never learn out ;-) Thanks for the advice

Some mail clients will use the subject for determining threading, but
that's not particularly accurate for large numbers of replies. Because
of that, a good client will instead use identifiers from the headers
that indicate exactly which message was replied to.

That means that when someone replies to a message simply to set the
sender information, your client passes the identifiers along to tell
recipients that this is a reply and not an original message.

Simon.