On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 10:52 -0600, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> I played around with dbus to try to figure out what is necessary.  It
> looks like it is necessary to run /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbus before the eval
> command, or gnome-power-manager won't work, altho dbus-viewer didn't
> complain.
>
> However, it looks like the dbus-launch in .xinitrc might be the culprit.
> It starts gnome-session, but the --sh-syntax isn't working?

The error message indicates the problem is that it can't find the dbus
session daemon. In that case, you can probably ignore the system daemon
started by the bootscript - it's not the one it's complaining about.

That said, the system bus *will* be needed. I've not tried g-p-m, but
it's built on top of HAL, and HAL requires the dbus system daemon
running.

Simon.