Hi All,

First of all thanks and commendation to everyone at lfs.

I'm running last weeks svn (forget the exact date, my name hasn't shown up yet in the lfs data base, and I deleted my first kernel).

Mostly things have been going well, however I've run into some ALSA issues. I can't get  snd-usb-audio to compile. I'm getting the same stuff as here:

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch/2005-October/006556.html

I've tried both compiling it into the kernel and from the ALSA drivers package. From what I've gleaned from googling it seems to be a bug in GCC-4.0.2.  So I thought I'd install an earlier version of GCC and try compiling with that. I know that at some point I'll need GCC-3.3 in order to compile LinuxSampler,  so I downloaded GCC-3.3.6 and set about  installing that. Should have been more careful. I applied the seds to (hopefully) prevent fixinclude, and appended the suffic -3.3.6 s o that it wouldn't overwrite 4.0.2, but of course I screwed up and things have gotten messy. So, I've deleted the executables and libraries, untarred /tools and am recompiling 4.0.2, which will hopefully get things back to normal. Assuming that it does, I have a couple of questions:

1.   What is the recommended procedure for installing alternate versions of GCC?

2.    Has anyone got any suggestions regarding snd-usb-audio? (snd-virmidi is also buggy, segfaults on modprobe, however this is less of a problem for me at this point in time).

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan.