Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Richard A Downing wrote these words on 02/09/06 01:34 CST:
>> The spellchecker underlines EVERY word as I type.
>>
>> I installed the English(British) dictiionary, no change.  If I 'ignore'
>> a word that doesn't take the underline off.  If I 'ignore-all' a word it
>> doesn't change the other instances. Seems well broken.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> None. It works great here. If you have your mail-client ID display
> on, you'll see I'm typing this from a Thunderbird 1.5 (built 20060120)
> client and I don't have anything underlined except for a couple of
> things in my sig.
>
> Oops, sig becomes underlined. And Richard, I am one that *really*
> appreciates the on-the-fly spell checker, so it was one feature I
> checked out first thing.
>
> Wish I could help.

You did. Just knowing that it works, and knowing I was using your method
of building, then it had to be something local.  I checked what root
could do, and...

The problem is the permissions for the files in
/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5/components/myspell

The instance of Tbird seems to need to have rw access to them.  ro
access isn't enough.  How these got installed with the wrong perms I
don't know, but they were all there, the US dictionary had 600 perms -
so root could write American, but ordinary users couldn't.  The GB dicts
were 400, so no-one could write proper English!

chmod 666 /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5/components/myspell/*

I'd appreciate knowing what perms you have on those files, Randy?

R.