Hi randhir,

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 19:56 +0000, randhir phagura wrote:
> I intend booting the new lfs system from the host system. The host
system
> has hda (the main hard drive), hdc (the dvd-rom) and the IBM
Microdrive
> mounted on SanDisk adapter connected to USB port of the host. This
drive is
> configured as usb-storage in the kernel and host system recognises it

> as'sda'. There is only one partition on this drive i.e. sda1. Grub is

> installed on Microdrive but not setup on the MBR because I intend to
boot it
> from the host.

I have been trying couple days to get Grub, the bootload, to work on an
USB pendrive without a breakthrough, making the latter working as an
USB HD.  The BIOS of my motherboard supports;

USB-ZIP
USB-HDD
USB-CDROM
USB-FDD
SCSI
etc.

I have no problem to get a Linux running on a pendrive formatted on
FAT16 ZIP geometry using syslinux to boot minitrc.gz.

The problem in front of me are

1)
The pendrive must be on FAT16/32 otherwise the BIOS won't detect it.

2)
FAT16/32 does not support symbolic link.

etc.

If you have any breakthrough please keep us posted.  TIA

B.R.
SL