Hi all..

Attempting to use the latest g-v-m version (2.15.0), which was released
today. Unfortunately, it terminates immediately after start, limiting
it's use somewhat.

I've traced this to their method for determining whether the user is
logged in locally to the machine (which in 1.15.0 was covered by the
--disable-multiuser config parameter). Basically, they're looking at the
utmp records, for an entry where the tty name (the ut_line column)
contains something like :0 (i.e a local X display).

Problem is, the utmp records on my machine don't contain such rows -
they include entries only for terminal windows, not for the X login
itself. Is this something LFS should be doing, or is this some horrible
hack used by the distros? It doesn't make a difference whether I login
to console and run startx, or login via gdm.

Simon.