Paul G Rogers wrote:
I'm preparing to install KDE-3.4.3 on my new LFS-6.1.1 system.  The KDE
website has a requirements page that says it needs libarts>=2.3.8.  I've
found & downloaded a tarball for libarts-2.3.11.  Unpacking kdelibs, I
find it's asking for aRts.  I know from a prior installation aRts creates
a libarts of its own in the KDE branch.  I'm confused.  Do I need both or
just one?

libarts *is* part of the arts package. I don't see where on the KDE website it mentions "libarts" (the "Compilation Requirements" page just mentions the arts package) and I can't seem to find a separate "libarts" package.