On Jan 29, 2008 1:30 PM, Bharath Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
> The blfs 6.2 (kde) system is up and running successfully expect for browsing
> the internet. I use a data-card and the internet connection has been
> established using the comgt package. The ppp0 is up and dns servers appear
> in resolv.conf file.
> However when i type www.google.com either in mozilla or konquerer, the page
> cannot be displayed. However when i type the IP address(64.233.167.104)
> directly in the address bar (both mozilla & konquerer), the google home page
> appears.
> Not sure which configuration i missed, that its unable to translate the
> www.google.com address. Thanks in advance for all the help.- Bharath

It would sound like your DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf aren't being
used. I'd guess that you missed the dns setting for hosts in
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

hosts: files dns

You can test address resolving at a low level using the glibc utility getent.

$ getent hosts www.google.com
72.14.253.147   www.l.google.com www.google.com
72.14.253.104   www.l.google.com www.google.com
72.14.253.99    www.l.google.com www.google.com