On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:54 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ---- Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  > > LFS 6.3, GCC 4.1.2. The ./configure complains about nonexisting
> example/Makefile.in but it finishes
>  > > without error. Then if I type make, it fails.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > I do see
>  >
>  > creating example/Makefile
>  > sed: can't read ./example/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
>  >
>  > but the make step completes successfully. The example directory has a
>
>  I just tried again. My make doesn't complete successfully. It prints:
>  No rule to make target libxml/tree.h, needed by SAX.lo
>  I just got an idea it could be caused by my alias make="make -j4" (I have a
> multiprocessor system and without it, compilation is twice as slow). When I
> do unalias
>  make, it works.
>
>  Does it mean the libxml makefiles are buggy?

Almost certainly, yes. A lot of handwritten Makefiles (i.e., not
generated by automake) do not handle parallel jobs well. You'll just
have to work around this one by dropping the -j4.

Also, instead of aliasing make, you can use the variable MAKEFLAGS to
store your options for make.

export MAKEFLAGS="-j4"
make
# buggy makefile that needs workaround