That is True for session usage if speed is not the intent. There is a balance with the rest of the system there. However, I run 1 gig of RAM and really don't have much of any issues unless I get a bit lax in closing apps not being used plus running larger ones. . One could increase virtual memory too. Depends if you are running a lot of audio software/processing yes but if it is average use even running Jaws, I'd be saving the RAM bucks towards a newer machine if it is an older XP machine. If bucks are an issue and one is running large programs and that would help with access to them yeah I might then drop some green for RAM :).

Brad

On 4/15/2011  09:07 AM East, Robin said...
Brad, it is not a matter of speed but the less memory then the
application like JAWS slows down and becomes sluggish as more RAM is
being utilized.
Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Brad Dunse'
Sent: April 14, 2011 04:37 AM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Windows 7 Maximum ram

I suppose it depends on  the  speed of the processor, width/speed of
the front side bus,  and   if you use the system heavy or not. I
think there is a limit to how much added RAM  will help speed. e. g.
drinking one can of Red Bull might wake you up to do stuff faster but
4 cans isn't going to help much in that direction, you'll only go so
fast anyway  :). I think for best performance it is best to have all the
same size RAM installed so that is something too. I guess if its working
fine how you use it I'd probably save the money.

Brad

On 4/13/2011  06:01 AM Cornell Ligon said...

>Hi Gang,
>
>I currently own an upgraded Win 7 box with 32 bit OS, which was
>formerly XP. I have 3 gb of ram installed.

>If I replace the 2 512 mb with 2 1 gb sticks, will I be wasting my
>money? That would be 4 gb total as well as the 256 mb video card.
>thanks in advance!
>Best Regards, Cornell
>

> > Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:03:48 -0500
> > To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
> > From: li...@braddunsemusic.com
> > Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Windows 7 Maximum ram
> >
> > Sorry 32 bit systems are limited to 4 gb, as well I meant 128 gb not

> > mb prior :).
> >
> > Brad
> >

> > On 4/12/2011 01:57 PM Brad Dunse' said...
> > >64 bit gives you up to 128 MB RAM.
> > >
> > >Brad
> > >

> > >On 4/12/2011 01:31 PM East, Robin said...

Brad Dunse

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the
dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog. --Jack London

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6043 (20110415) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brad Dunse

Birth… learn… intern… earn… lectern… sojourn… adjourn…
Enjoy the ride, its shorter than you think. --Anonymous