From: "Lennie Rinaldi" <merlin...@mchsi.com>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Backing Up Files

Rogelio,

I will try to explain what I do to backup my C drive.

You have to enter on the following link when you start the system backup:

If you prefer, you can switch to Advanced Mode to change the
settings used for backup or restore. This option is recommended
for advanced users only.

the following screen is displayed:

Backup Utility - [Untitled]
Job Edit View Tools Help
Welcome Backup Restore and Manage Media Schedule Jobs
Welcome to the Backup Utility Advanced Mode
If you prefer, you can switch to Wizard Mode to
use simplified settings for backup or restore.
Backup Wizard (Advanced)
The Backup wizard helps you create a backup of your programs and files.
Restore Wizard (Advanced)
The Restore wizard helps you restore your data from a backup.
Automated System Recovery Wizard
The ASR Preparation wizard helps you create a
two-part backup of your system: a floppy disk that has
your system settings, and other media that
contains a backup of your local system partition.
Ready

You will be in the welcome pad, Do a CTRL+tab to
move to the next screen. You will then be in the
backup pad. Partial display of the screen is shown below:

Backup Utility - [Untitled]
Job Edit View Tools Help
Welcome Backup Restore and Manage Media Schedule Jobs
Click to select the check box for any drive,
folder or file that you want to back up.
Desktop Name Comment
My Computer My Computer
3½ Floppy (A:)
Local Disk (C:)
DVD Drive (F:)
CD-RW Drive (G:)
System State
My Documents
My Network Places
Backup destination: Backup options:
File Normal backup.  Summary log.   Start Backup Some file types excluded.
Backup media or file name:

You will be in a preview. Move to open up my
computer and arrow down the list. If you have a
floppy drive A, you will get an error message if
there is no floppy disk in the drive. See Below:

The drive "A:" did not respond. Please make sure
there is a valid disk in the drive and
the drive is functioning correctly.
OK

Just enter on the OK button and arrow down one
item. You should be on the local drive C. Hit the
spacebar to check it. If you have other drives
and there are no CD in the drive, you will also
get the error message. Simply enter on the OK
button. Arrow down until you reach system state and check it with the
spacebar.

After selecting your drives to backup, tab twice
to enter the path and file name where you want
the backup to be stored. In my case it would be:

J:\C backup 2009-04-22

Then tab twice to start the backup button.

Depending on the size of your data on the C
drive, it can take a while. My backup takes
approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.

When the backup is finish, I tab to the backup
report and read the results of the backup. This
is a text file that will come up in NotePad.

I have not gone into the more advanced portion of
window system backup. However, I have use the
wizard mode to restore certain files from my C
backup. The restore process is another process. I
sometime choose an alternate location to restore
a file especially if I don't want to overwrite
what is currently on my computer. I never had a
system crash where I had to do a complete restore.

I use the system backup to backup all my music
files which is on a separate hard drive. The
original hard drive crashed and after I had a new
hard drive installed, I did a full rescore of all
my music from the backup. It works like a champ.
The only problem that I had was that the backup
was old and I did not have a more recent backup
at that time. I learned my lesson and backup everything more frequently.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Lennie