I have the latest version of Java, version 10, installed on my XP Pro computer,
but there has been a lot of buzz lately that it is still highly vulnerable to
malicious attacks and therefore should be disabled or removed.  So I'm
wondering: is Java really necessary at all?  Is it safe to completely remove
it?  Or should I keep it and just disable it on the Manage Add-Ons dialog of
the Options submenu of the IE 8 Tools menu?  According to some tech experts,
disabling Java this way may not completely disable it and may still leave your
computer vulnerable unless you perform some additional registry tweaks, which I
don't feel comfortable doing.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Gerald