Which one you need, of course, depends on which ones you have. No, you don't need fast travel to get to any of them. There's one in the palace, one in one of the encampments that you have to get keys from, and one in the goblin settlement.  I always take the fast travel. I just can't be butthole enough to let an innocent person rot, no matter how obnoxious they are or how cold my character's supposed to be.