Frequently Asked Questions, New Hampshire Marble, Cultured Marble, Bathtubs,
Showerbases, Vanity tops, Sinks, Flatstock, technical informationHere is a page
with the information on drilling cultured marble and other useful facts.

New Hampshire Marble
Frequently asked questions and technical help

a.. What is Cultured Marble?
In a nutshell, Cultured Marble is man made marble. It is composed of crushed
rock fillers, pigments and various plastic resins. This product is made in a
factory using mixers, molds and other equipment. A gel-coat is used to protect
the background color and to provide the sink with it's high luster and stain
resistance. After the gel-coat is cured, the matrix is mixed and poured onto
the molds. All New Hampshire Marble products are hand poured, and produced in a
small batch fashion. Once cured the rough edges of the sinks are ground and
then sanded, buffed and polished, or matted what ever the case may be. Please
note that cultured marble does not support combustion, mildew growth or have a
porous surface for bacteria to hide in. Also the gel-coat layer of cultured
marble is stain resistant.

a.. Who makes New Hampshire Marble brand products?
New Hampshire Marble and Fiberglass, INC. manufactures it's own products. Our
products are made in small batches by our employees in New hampshire. Our
products are produced from raw material components, the majority of which come
from refineries and manufacturers in the United States. You can be sure that
when you have bought a New Hampshire Marble product, that it was made in the
United States.

a.. Do we have a warranty?

We offer a two year limited manufactures warranty. It covers defects that can
be linked to the manufacturing process. Please be aware that dislike of the
veining is not considered a defect. Due to our production process we cannot
control what the veining in the end product will look like. We cannot accept
product back due to a dislike of the veining. All potential customers should be
aware that veining can and will vary from what they see on display units or
samples. Click the link to view the Warranty information in full.

a.. What is the normal lead time?

With few exceptions, due to the many color and size variations all products are
made to order at NHM. Modular sinks typically take about 7/10 working days.
Custom sizes can take 3-4 weeks depending on the work backlog. The best idea is
to order the vanity tops and all other products when your cabinets are ordered.
Do not tear apart your bathroom unless you are certain that you have all the
parts you require to finish it.

a.. Do we bid on large Contracts?
We bid on contracts that range from a few homes, to hotels with hundreds of
rooms. Our products have gone into homes, hotels, hospitals, motorhomes and a
wide variety of other structures. We do offer special pricing considerations
for bulk volume orders. What is bulk volume? Anything over 10 sinks on 1 order.
Please be aware that large orders may require a longer lead time to
manufacture. You need to be aware of this when placing orders, so that you are
sure that there will be enough time to have the product delivered on time.

a.. Can we make custom Colors?
At New Hampshire Marble we will attempt to match color samples that customers
bring in. We will make a sample color to match the selection as closely as
possible. Then the sample will be submitted to the customer for approval. After
the customer has given approval, we will go ahead and make the product. Make
sure to leave plenty of lead-time for these situations in case colors have to
be ordered.

a.. How do I install the Cultured Marble Products I just bought?
Attach your hardware before placing the vanity top onto the base. Use only
Silicone based products around the drain. A light bead of liquid nail will help
secure the vanity top to the base. For more information on installing these
products. click here.

a.. How do I keep my Cultured Marble product clean?

Always use non-abrasive cleaning products to care for your Cultured Marble. Any
of the non-abrasive spray cleaners, or handy wipe cleaners available today are
okay for your normal weekly cleaning. We recommend Gel-Gloss (which can be
found at most home improvement and marine supply stores) for polishing the
product. This will help ensure that the finish of your product lasts a long
time. More Information

a.. How do I cut cultured marble?
A circular saw with a masonry blade will cut cultured marble easily. At all
times you want to protect the finished surface of the product. Deep scratches
caused by careless installers can be difficult to remove. Be aware that cutting
is not always the best way to remove material from a top. Many times it will
prove to be much easier to simply sand the product with a power sander and some
60 grit paper. This method is recommended to remove anything less than 1/8".
For the rest of the information needed click here (cutting information).

a.. How do I drill Cultured marble?
A simple holesaw at the size you need will easily make the hole you need. Be
sure to double-check the marked places to be drilled. It is easy to drill this
product, but fixing careless mistakes can be difficult! For the rest of the
information on drilling click the link.

a.. Can this material be repaired?
Cultured marble products can be repaired depending on the type and amount of
damage. In some cases minor scratches may be removed by simply rubbing a
buffing compound (available at any automotive store) over the scratched areas.
Deeper scratches and chips will require a professional to do the work.
Typically in the event of cracking the product will have to be replaced (of
course there are always acceptions).

a.. How can you remove rust or hard water deposits?
If rust or hard water deposits develop in the bowl, use a buffing compound
(available at any automotive store) and a soft rag to buff away the deposits.
The rust or mineral deposits may reapear, if this happens simply repeat the
before mentioned steps. As long as there is gel-coat present over the
background colors, none of the rust or mineral deposit staining should be
permanent.

a.. What about Cracking?
In the early days of Cultured Marble, the resins could not handle quick changes
in temperature. Typically this would translate into cracking in the bowl.
However, due to advances in chemistry and slight modifications in the
installation process, cracking has become very rare. In most cases cracking in
the bowl can be traced to the installation process. We recommend only silicone
based products, and not over tightening the drain fitting when installing these
products. Please note that extremely high water temperatures can result in
cracking. This product will expand slightly with significant changes in
temperature. If the drain collar is tightened too much during installation it
can restrict the expansion of the product when hot water is placed in the bowl,
which can lead to stress cracks or crazing.

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: