Si,

This has always been my feeling about radial arm saws. I don't much like
backing the blade into the work and I would certainly be uncomfortable using
it to rip. Like you I too have cut wide boards by turning the board over and
when I was putting the vertical siding on my gable ends and could not
complete the length of diagonal cut needed I just finished the cut, last
three inches or so with a hand saw, following the inside of the cut started
by the miter saw.

One really nice application for a radial arm saw is cutting dados, the
orientation is as you would use the material so dummies like me don't hop
from foot-to-foot in front of the saw making sure that when I turn it over
the piece will be correctly oriented and after several simulations getting
it backward anyway.

Of course the table saw can be a similarly dangerous tool but at least only
the required amount of blade is exposed and I trust it to stay just where it
is.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens