These days I usually cut PVC and A B S with my power miter saw. It is drain
pipe though so not under any pressure and the accuracy of the cut is not
critical. If you can cut reasonably square then a hacksaw works very well
with or without a guide.

You get probably twenty seconds or so of open time on the solvent which is
usually plenty. I try to assemble as much of the fitting as i can on the
bench just for convenience and you should dry fit it all and rub each end
with a little sand paper, 80 grit or higher just a little to make sure it is
clean and wipe it before applying the solvent. Dry fitting will assure it
all fits before you stick it together.

Once you apply the solvent you should twist the fitting a couple of times if
you can back and forth just to help insure full coverage of the solvent. You
will soon feel it begin to tighten up, when it does leave it in the correct
alignment.

There are recommended set-up times, I have long since forgotten how long but
I leave it at least 20 minutes before allowing water, longer if it is a
pressure fitting like water lines.

Someone said to use a table saw and that too works fine. The best advantage
to a table or power miter saw is the ease of making an absolutely square
cut. I have never needed to mark the fittings for alignment but the
suggestions of marking with masking tape or a scratch could well be helpful,
so far I just have never had the need.

Remember, when cutting to allow for the insert at each end. It wants about
three quarters of an inch into each fitting. You will need three feet and an
inch and a half to span a three foot gap between fittings to allow for that
insertion.

Hope this helps.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]