Sorry but that is not necessarily correct.

There are now a number of circular saws available with left or right side
blades. The reason is preferred line-of-sight, not left or right hand use.

With the more traditional right side blade it is necessary to lean out over
the saw to view the cut line and sight notch in the shoe plate because the
body of the saw and the blade guard are in the way. On the other hand, with
the weight of the motor and bulk of the shoe plate on the left it is better
supported when cross cutting dimensional lumber like cutting off studs and
so on by right handed persons.

I suppose now that power miter saws are so much more common in use that
circular saws now are mostly being used for cutting sheet goods and
therefore the convenience of a left sided blade is more apparent.

There are saws intended for left handed use but not many. They differ in
their placement of the trigger lock and things like the orientation of the
scales for depth adjustment and bevel angle. It is true too that until
recently they were about the only saws with the blade on the left but that
is no longer true.

I have been looking into buying a new circular saw myself which is why I
discovered this. I have been considering a battery version but I don't use
it often enough these days to be bothered with looking after the batteries
and with that additional weight I am thinking I might as well fiddle about
with the cord. For some reason those saws seem to have to be pretty heavy.
It seems to me that blades on the left have appeared nearly over night.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens