I would add to what Ralph has said that sometimes the best way to figure out
a blind way of doing something is to understand the usual way sighted people
do it, not because they are sighted but because understanding what is
required permits one to improvise.

I learned how to sweat copper pipe from the clerk in a hardware store. He
didn't actually teach me but he described thoroughly how it is done. The man
didn't have a grade 8 education but he also didn't have the presumption that
I shouldn't be told.

Now here is the thing as I perceive it; I cannot observe many things being
done, television programming frequently is insufficiently narrated, the few
books I have looked into depend on photographs and drawings partly because
it is clear but I suspect partly because the authors lack clarity of
intellect and/or language to be able to logically and sequentially write out
the description.

I am often struck by the information not present when reading a catalogue or
browsing the Web for goods and services and usually frustrated by the trivia
and tripe the descriptions contain. I have to believe that it is because the
image provides the information lacking in the text.

Well of course I actually know that is not true the objective is to shift
cash from my possession to that of the vendor which most seem to think is
more easily done on an emotional level than a factual and intellectual level
but I digress.

Some times it is just better to understand the process then work out how to
achieve it without sight.

Perhaps Tom will remember us working through the sweating of copper pipe
with the Educational Assistant and young high school lad a couple of years
ago. She did not know the process so that is where we started then how I
achieve it. Doubtless she had to improvise further to teach him how to
achieve it and she did. There is, in my opinion, some merit in description
of how things are done if for no other reason than to help grasp the
concepts that sighted people can acquire by observation.

Another example that comes up in my life fairly often is having a sighted
person tell me how to get somewhere. They don't describe the route the way I
would describe it to another blind person, much of what they use for
guidance has no meaning for me at all and they never or rarely have much
sense of what might be meaningful in way finding for me but, with their
input I am often armed with a good starting point to find my way in my way.

That reminds me, I should drop that lady a note to see how things are
getting along, she must be an exceptional woman.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens