Max,

I have a feeling that is a common problem for us blind folk applying finish.
We perceive the need to really get a good covering. It is one way to insure
the entire surface gets coated, to apply lots and work back and forth and so
on. It just is instinctively right.

When it comes to finishing though, this isn't quite right. I understand from
talking to spray painters that it is best to apply very thin coats, this
keeps the paint or lacquer from accumulating and forming drips and runs and
the solvents can evaporate much more quickly resulting in a much shorter
open time, no surface tension or skin to hold the solvents so the finish
sets up harder and with a shorter cure time, less opportunity for specks of
dust and fly sh*t to stick in it.

The other thing is that a thick finish is also more likely to chip and
crack. Because eyes can see that the surface is covered or the colour or
shine or what ever is consistent they can stop at the desired effect.

I have and still continue to apply finishes to many projects and I still
tend to apply way too much finish although I am getting slowly better. In
the end I buff and rub and grind off a lot between coats which uses up a lot
of time and material but the outcome is usually pretty good. It could be
more efficiently achieved  but it is as good as I can do.

I like the foam brushes for paint too and they have the advantage of
disposability but I do use a lot getting the finish as I want. I like the
little disposable rollers for applying contact cement and working with
fiberglass resin. Those were tips given to me by a sighted chap, it makes
laying that sticky stuff down a lot easier.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens