Several years ago our dish washer gave up the ghost. It was probably 20
years old too.  We were going to get somebody out here to have a look at it.
The guy quoted us a price of around 300 bucks give or take.  I said for that
kind of money I'll just buy another one.  This guy then says it would cost
you about half this price to have somebody put it in for you.  I said how
hard can it be to install a dish washer.  You have a supply line off the hot
water line, and a sewer line.  This guy says something about codes and
yadda-yadda-yadda.  That's when I decided to do it myself.

After the guy left I took the under the counter dish washer out.  There were
only 2 small Philips screws holding it under the counter.  When I removed
those, it just rolled out as slick as snot.

There was a screw on fitting holding the hot water supply line in place and
a standard 3 prong electrical cord which plugged into a switched wall outlet
in the compartment.  When I turned off the hot water with the shut-off valve
under the sink,and unplugged the dish washer, I just rolled it out of the
way and outside onto the patio.

My wife measured the inside dimensions of the compartment as well as those
of the old unit.  Then we went shopping for a new unit.  We found one that
was pretty much like the one that was in there for around 250 dollars.

We got it home and unpacked it outside on the patio and lifted it up and put
it down in the laundry room where I rolled it up to the compartment.  After
connecting the supply line to the new dish washer and plugging it in to the
switched outlet, I rolled it all the way back in and placed 2 new screws
under the counter top.  I then turned the hot water back on under the sink
and gave it a test wash with no dishes inside to well, wash the new dish
washer.  According to my wife, your not going to just put a load of my
dishes in that thing with out washing it out first are you?  Um, I wouldn't
dream of it my dear.  Uh-huh she said.<grin>  It's probably been running now
for 3 or 4 years and haven't had problem one yet.

Alan

Please click on: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
the Yamaha Tyros keyboard.  I often add files so check back regularly!

The albums in Technics  format formerly on my website are still
available upon request.