This probe unit is mostly made of plastic and the metal probe part doesn't
look like it's the strongest thing you've ever seen.  It's only 30 to 35
bucks and is intended to be stuck in a hunk of meat to measure it's
temperature which sounds easier in theory then in practice.  The object of
the game is to get the probe in the center of the meat.  That's fine if it's
an I-round which has no bone.  If it's a 7 or 9 bone roast, it can be a
challenge even getting close to the center which skews the reading.  The
thermometer is useful for many things but calibrating an oven probably won't
be one of them.    You can stick the thing in a peace of meat 5 times and
get 5 different answers which means you have to average the temperature
readings.  It's not that the thing is worthless, it's because you cannot get
the probe in the exact same place every time.  The probe is 10 inches long
with the plastic thermometer sitting on the top.  It reminds me of having a
talking watch sitting on top of a cheap metal peace.  It doesn't mean that
it isn't useful or that it's not worth 30 bucks, it just means it probably
won't be very useful in this case.  It's kind of like trying to use it to
take your kid's temperature with a meat thermometer.  In this case however,
it would read body temperature if used under the arm.  It can read air
temperature but I don't believe it's that stable.  I have one of these
things and to tell the truth, don't use it all that much and when when I do
use it for roasts and such, you spend more time fooling around with it
trying to get an average then it's probably worth.  If you need to calibrate
an oven, I wouldn't depend on this thing.

Alan

Please click on: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
the Yamaha Tyros keyboard.  I often add files so check back regularly!

The albums in Technics  format formerly on my website are still
available upon request.