I would suspect that if the damage is that large that there is more damage
you can't see and it's problem that the roof is weak in spots.  Crawling
around on a roof that has no damage is a risky business to start with and
when you toss in possible water damage it could turn deadly and very fast.

It's not just about fixing the hole but about inspecting for other damage
that possibly could be worse.  But, as has already been said, this sort of
thing won't go away on it's own.

Here's what I recommend.  Contact 5 or 6 roofing contractors in your area.
Tell them that your taking bids on roof repairs and briefly describe the
problem.  Don't assume.  People invite contractors to stick it to them by
describing things they assume to be true.  If you tell the contractor you
are afraid you might need a new roof, guess what he'll tell you.  Yes mam,
we examined your roof and your quite correct.  Your roof is shot and needs
to be replaced.  That's at least a 10,000 dollar job.  Instead, only
describe what you know as fact.  Tell them up front that your only taking
bids at this time.  If they say something like we don't give bids, you can
reply, then you don't get the job.  If their honest, they'll come out and
give you a free bid.  If they want to charge you for it, run real fast.

I'm the president of our home owners association and am responsible for over
55 homes.  It's not a large association as such things go but we get home
owners seeking information on what they can do to avoid being taken.

Out of 5 or 6 bids, you should wind up with 4.  There is always 1 or 2 who
offer more excuses why they can't come out when they said they would.  Their
probably doing you a favor anyway.  Out of the 4 or so you get,you'll be
amazed at the range of prices.

As an example, on a 10 thousand roofing job the prices could be as low as 6
and as high as 20 thousand.

Write everything down and never assume you will be able to remember it
because you won't.  Get the bid in writing or you don't have anything.  If
it's in writing, you've got the paper to prove the bidder said what ever.

Never pay in full up front.  You have no bargaining chips left.  If you are
still holding the money, you've got say-so. It is proper to put some money
down up front but only a small amount usually far less then half; like maybe
a fourth.  /And finally, run like hell when they start promising you the sun
and the moon.  Unless it's in writing, you don't have it.

All the best of luck to you with it.  Oh and be sure to inquire about
warrantees on their work and how long etc.

Alan

Please click on: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
the Yamaha Tyros keyboard.  I often add files so check back regularly!

The albums in Technics  format formerly on my website are still
available upon request.