There are also springs in the new mattresses.  It's why their so thick.
They provide better support then the old stuffed only ones.

When my wife insisted on a new mattress and box springs, my back problems
mostly went away.  I think I've had 3 episodes of my back going out.  I can
tell because for a day to 3 days before hand my back is sore so I know it's
coming.  And by the third day, I have to lay on my stomach, scoot around
until I'm laying across the bed and push backward with my hands until my
legs touch the floor and the real fun starts.  I will walk my hands backward
as far as I can and the gambling begins.  If I push myself upright with
enough force, I'm standing.  To little and I won't make it upright.  Worse,
to much and I risk falling over backwards.  Not fun and hurts like hell.  In
general it lasts for about 2 to 4 weeks.  During the worst of it, I some
times fear that I may never walk again.  So far I've only had 3 of these
episodes.  My brother who is 7 years younger then I am has back problems as
well.  I mentioned to him that 3 years passed before the second episode.  He
says the bad news is in general the next one will happen sooner then 3
years.  Not quite but still less then 3 years but not by much.  How high the
bed is off the floor only makes it easier to get out of and into.  Getting
on my bed is not a problem.  I reverse things.  It looks like I'm getting
ready to dive in but I repeat the walking with my hands thing and get in
that way.  I've learned you don't move around to much when your back goes
out and spend a lot of time in a hot bath tub filled with hot water.  In the
end, it's about what works for you.  I've been thinking about trying a tenns
unit.  Anybody ever used one and if so, did it help?

Alan

Please click on: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
the Yamaha Tyros keyboard.  I often add files so check back regularly!

The albums in Technics  format formerly on my website are still
available upon request.