Hi all,
Hi Yoav,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to modify the intent timeline as follows:

M99: Start showing a deprecation warning.
M99-105: Watch use counters + outreach to top-N users.
M105: Deprecate the feature by default.

Enabling/disabling will be via Finch, so we have an emergency shut-off.

An enterprise policy is already in place.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 6:45 PM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Hey Daniel!
>
> While searching for this intent review, I stumbled upon
> https://developer.chrome.com/blog/immutable-document-domain/
> That's a useful piece of documentation! Thanks +Eiji Kitamura!!
>
> This intent was just discussed at the API owner meeting (where Chris,
> Rego, Daniel, Philip, Alex, MikeT and myself were present).
> This change seems risky in terms of potential breakage when looking at our
> stats, and that's even before talking about enterprises, where a lot of the
> API owners feel the risk is even higher.
>
> Given that, here's a few potential next steps to try and reduce that risk:
>
>    - UKM and outreach to specific large users of the API can maybe help
>    drive the usage down.

Will do. With Lutz' help I just checked the UKM we have on this, and it
seems the usage is quite heavily concentrated on large sites. The
top-quartile of remaining public usage is just 9 sites; top-half is ~35.
We'll try to reach out to them.

>    - A deprecation period of 3 milestones feels a bit short here. Is the
>    expectation that turning on the opt-out header can be done under that
>    period?
>
> As above, we'll happily go up on this.

My reasoning why 3 milestones would be reasonable was that there is a
"safe" opt-out. That is, if one wishes to preserve old behaviour, or isn't
sure, or just wants to postpone the issue, one can just add
'Origin-Agent-Cluster: ?0" and deal with it later. This is quite different
from e.g. CSP, where adding new CSP headers might require a lot of work and
testing.

>    - A report-only mode could have allowed sites to try and enable this,
>    without risking actual breakage for their documents/properties that use
>    document.domain. This is doubly true for platforms that want to warn their
>    customers about this upcoming deprecation, but without taking risks on
>    their behalf. At the same time, it is true that they could collect
>    deprecation reports (thanks for adding those!) instead during the
>    deprecation period, which can be considered an on-by-default report-only
>    mode. Can y'all add specific guidance on deprecation reports to the
>    documentation?

We see the deprecation warning - without any behavioural changes - as
effectively being the report-only mode. We'll be more clear in the
documentation.

>    -  It'd be helpful to reach out to enterprise folks and see what their
>    - This probably requires an Enterprise Policy, to reduce the risk for
>    managed installs. +bheenan@ for opinions on that front.
>
> I agree, and an enterprise policy is already in place.

>    - Is there a plan to eventually remove the opt-out option? Or is it
>    the plan to have it in place permanently?

There is no plan. The current logic is relatively easy to maintain, so we
have not made any plan to remove the opt-out.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CALG6KPNs24tap5M0OpdPX%3DLYaXDZmq%2BoB8pEALaTX6g1G1h5Sg%40mail.gmail.com.
              • R... 'Daniel Vogelheim' via blink-dev
              • R... 'Daniel Vogelheim' via blink-dev
              • R... Greg Whitworth