Am Sonntag, den 01.04.2007, 17:17 +0100 schrieb Andrew Walkingshaw:
> On 4/1/07, Geoffrey Hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 1, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> >
> > > H is not an alkali (whatever you call it, earth or metal) The family
> > > starts with Li, and H is a non metal. The correct name for Li
> > > through Fr
> > > is Alkali metals.
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> Group 2 are the alkali earth metals, though.

IMO (and AFAIK) "Alkaline Earth Metals". I did a search with google to
see, how the terms are used. I found only a few references for the term
"alkali earths" (< 1000). Checking "alkali earth", I found references to
the term "alkali earth metals" (around 200000). Most of these references
use the term synonymously to "alkaline earth metals", a few use it for
the alkali metals. Checking "alkaline earth metals" brought up the most
references (> 1000000). So I suggest to use "alkaline earth metals". But
I didn't find real references, that the first group is called "alkali
earth" or "alkali earth metals".

Regards, Daniel