Egon - yes the latest version of Dave's CMLRSS feed reader I think is still
http://usefulchem.blogspot.com/2006/08/cml-rss-reader-in-java.html

On 5/25/07, Egon Willighagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> Had a chance to play with the latest Bioclipse and although there
> were bugs (which we may sort out tomorrow) the OPML tool is able to
> feed CrystalEye stuff to Bioclipse and display it.

One thing that would already help a lot is a proper XML editor. The
Eclipse Web Tools Package has a very good one (syntax highlighting, visual
error reports, autocompletion, a tree view and a 'plain text' view, ...),
but that has not been available as a separate tool sofar... let's see what
Eclipse RCP 3.3 does in this respect...

Additionally, I plan a (RCP) Forms based approach, or maybe a simple table
based approach for a non plain text XML editing, but a GUI for adding and
editing feeds. Help is always most welcome and *much* appreciated.

> So I favour the
> traditonal idea of a feed with a fairly short list of back items -
> e.g. last 30 entries. If you miss them you have to look elsewhere for
> the archive. So the RSS feed should be a FIFO.

(Note to myself: Jean-Claude has code that allows local archiving of older
feed content. I hope to see that integrated into the CMLRSS reader in
Bioclipse. :)

> I am convinced that we should promote Bioclipse as the rich client
> and I think that it could work well for NCI. Will require quite a lot
> of work in quality assurance, etc. - testing different platforms etc.

Indeed... anyone can help here. A growing number of cheat sheets are being
written to guide new users through available functionality, and we are
exploring to use these as testing framework...

> but then the CMLRSS could be very exciting. Bioclipse has "features"
> (bad name - really pluginSets)

Sorry about that. This is inherited from the Eclipse RCP framework, so
blame IBM :)

> which can be customised to provide
> task-oriented collections of plugins. Thus NCI could have a
> "submisson" feature, or a "latest compounds" CMLRSS feature.

Please check the below Bioclipse wiki page to see which features are being
set up. Use of this RCP technology is really very new in Bioclipse, and
was started only 3 weeks ago, so there are still some rough edges.

The idea is that a 'feature' defines a minimal set of 'plugins'. The
plugins provide the actual functionality, and the feature defines what
functionality is required to perform a specific task. So, you can expect a
CMLRSS feature, which will extend the core Bioclipse with just that
functionality to allow CMLRSS reading.

Another feature example would be the structure elucidation feature, which
will likely even be split up in NMR based and MS based CASE. One feature
for each of them. This allows users to get a Bioclipse interface tuned to
what they need to do. Of course, you may install all features you like.

Egon

Jean-Claude Bradley, Ph. D.
E-Learning Coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Drexel University

http://drexel-coas-elearning.blogspot.com
http://drexel-coas-talks-mp3-podcast.blogspot.com/