Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:26:15 -0700
From: "Curtis A. Ingraham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Re: gas smell - 95 M3 question

That happened to me on a couple of 2002s.  In one case gas leaked
through the hole for the level sensor connection, which was a
rivet-like shaft through a plastic block.  I fixed that by pounding
on the rivet some.  In the other case gas leaked through a cracked weld
between the top plate and the supply tube.  I soldered that.  In both
cases I did the work outside the car after a careful airing out.

Those kinds of hacks are fine if you're comfortable doing them and
remember to check their durability often.  It's a lot safer, of course,
to replace the leaking assembly.

Curt Ingraham
Oakland, CA

Jeff Batt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a question regarding the common "top of gas tank" leak:  My leak
> (in a sept '94 built) '95 M3 seems to have returned (it's on the pass
> side).  At first I figured that I just can't put a hose clamp on
> correctly, but after replacing the 2 hose clamps and the 5" diam rubber
> gasket (that goes between the tank and the pump top) - and actually
> replacing both twice - I have a new suspicion.
>
> After watching my tank (Filling it up and then by driving with the tank
> covers off and watching for leaks at every stoplight or pulling
> over)...it seems to be leaking from one or both of the electrical
> connections (around the plastic housings/connectors) that plug into the
> top of the pump cover.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?  Is there an easy fix (epoxy on the inside
> or something) or should I look at replacing the plastic pump top?
>
> Thanks, Jeff

------------------------------

     There's also an item called, no kidding, "plastic crack sealer"
available at electronics supply houses.  Thoroughly clean all surfaces
before applying.  It cures hard.  I used this to seal the MAS sensor to
the tube, and no leaks two and a half years later.  Once this sealer
hardens, you can apply a layer of gray Permatex silicone, a
non-hardening compound, over it in case of cracks.
     I've also seen bondo (body filler) used successfully to close up
gas tank leaks.  Great stuff.
Good luck,
Barry

--
The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.
   I live with fear, death, and evil...but I used to be able to turn it off and