________________________________
From: David Nelson <comme...@traduction.biz>
To: steering-discuss@documentfoundation.org
Cc: steering-disc...@global.documentfoundation.org
Sent: Thu, 9 June, 2011 20:22:51
Subject: Re: [steering-discuss] proposed bylaws changes

Hi Florian,

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:17, Florian Effenberger
<flo...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as we are moving forward with legally setting up the foundation, and
> translate/adapt the bylaws into German, we noticed that some tweaks and
> simplifications are required - in general we feel the shorter these
> documents are, the better it is for understanding.
>
> Proposed change #1:
> -------------------
>
> We should replace the words "moral commitment" (which are rather off-putting
> to many with a stark view of their integrity and morals) with something
> softer:
>
> from:
> Every membership applicant must have been active for at least three (3)
> months, and should make a moral commitment to at least six (6) months
> activity (not counting the first three (3) months of fulfillment of
> qualification).
>
> to:
> Every membership applicant must have been active for at least three (3)
> months, and should make a best effort commitment to continuing their
> activity for a further six (6) months.
>
> Which I hope captures the spirit, without invoking things that cannot be
> predicted.

"best-effort"

> Proposed change #2:
> -------------------
>
> Then a separate set of changes & cleanups around the Advisory Board:
>
> * The /Donor/ definition is not referenced outside of the /Sponsor/
> definition, and so should be collapsed into there.
> * The /Sponsor/ definition is referenced in a redundant, non-normative way
> by the Members/Contributors definition and should be removed.
>
> from:
> The Community's Members are people who contribute their time, efforts and
> skills independently (individual persons contributing on either a paid or
> unpaid basis), or who may work for Sponsors (refer to definition of
> Sponsors).
>
> to:
> The Community's Members are individuals who contribute their time, efforts
> and skills whether on a paid or voluntary basis.

"and skills, whether on a paid or voluntary basis."

(Just adds a comma.)

> Proposed change #3:
> -------------------
>
> * Remove the Sponsors section. This is now only referred to in the Advisory
> Board definition and sections, and as such can be expanded there.
>
> * Expand the Advisory Board definition.
>
> from:
> The Advisory Board represents the Foundation's Sponsors. Each Sponsor is
> entitled to appoint one representative. For more information, see Advisory
> Board under Governance.
>
> to:
> The Advisory Board provides a forum for organisations that provide a
> substantial minimum level of financial, or other support as determined by
> the BoD to meet with the BoD and provide advice. For more information, see
> Advisory Board under Governance.

"organizations"

(US spelling, like everywhere else in the bylaws.)

"minimum level of financial or other support, as determined by
> the BoD, to meet with the BoD and provide advice."

(Minor punctuation changes.)

> Proposed change #4:
> -------------------
>
> * Re-work the Advisory Board section:
>
> from:
> The Advisory Board [AB] is staffed by Sponsors' representatives (refer to
> definition of Sponsors). Each Sponsor can have no more than one
> representative on the Advisory Board. Each Sponsor's representative is
> appointed for a term of one (1) year, but can be re-appointed for a further
> year in office at the end of each term.
> The AB's primary function is to represent The Document Foundation's
> Sponsors, and to provide the Board of Directors with advice, guidance and
> proposals.
>
> to:
> The Advisory Board [AB] is staffed, at the BoD's discretion by organisations
> that have  made a substantial contribution to The Document Foundation. Each
> organisation appointing a single representative to the Advisory Board based
> on a yearly fee to be determined by the BoD.
> The AB's primary function is to represent these organisations by providing
> the BoD with advice, guidance and proposals.

"organization" / "organizations"

(US spelling.)

That's it... pretty painless, no? ;-P

I've proofread the rest of the bylaws in the past so many times I
don't think there are any / many spelling / grammar errors in them.

Otherwise, I was only going to add a clause about transferring TDF's
funds into my personal bank account every 6 months...

David Nelson

Hi :)
Yup +1
I always try to use Uk spellings but i think this has to be American :(
Regards from
Tom :)