On 10 Jun 2011, at 12:22, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Italo Vignoli wrote:
>> http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2077963/libreoffice-ready-commercial-distribution-months-document-foundation
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2077979/document-foundation-promises-enterprise-ready-libreoffice-august
>
> It's great to see that the LibreOffice download size will be 30
> MBytes... if only that was true! It must be an invariant that, however
> accurate the information provided to them, journalists always manage to
> get something wrong.

It's not just journalists. All human communications have that effect, hence the
game "Chinese Whispers"[1]. That's why when I give a conference keynote I try
to also publish my thoughts before or at the same time, so there can be no
doubt what I think. It's also why reports of what others said or think should
be treated as suspect (a concept described in English as "Hearsay"[2]) until
there's a supporting source provided.

The lesson I have learned is that I should treat each error in an article where
I am the source as my own failure to present the information in a way that was
effective for the journalist.  On the other hand, as a journalist I always
appreciate rapid, polite, factual and constructive corrections to my articles
and apply them as soon as I can.

S.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearsay