Tom,

You may have misunderstood Michael.
Your 1. will be true if no one's interested in picking up that module.
Your 2. is way too premature :) (btw; a very important segment of
LibreOffice power users use PostgreSQL or MySQL and don't use Base,
never used it even when it was first introduced inside OOo; an even
bigger segment don't use a database at all.)
Your 3. is where it seems something does not work ;) "step up and
manage" doesn't mean anything, imho. We have 37 different priorities to
work on; if there are developers interested in Base, they're welcome.
But you won't force anyone (and TDF does not force anyone) to work on
something it does not want or does not need. However, you might want to
step up and start to raise funds to have developers work on Base. The
doors of opportunity are wide open.

best,
Charles.