Hi All,

As the infrastructure team by design is working in the background[1]
I'll pass some information for the public.

[1] We're proud if nobody notes our work! ;o))

I'll try to keep it short..

Am 18.09.2012 19:56 schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
> Am 17.09.2012 18:06 schrieb Thorsten Behrens:

> [..]

>> A thing of note is §8 - the board intends to hire or contract
>> someone to operate infrastructure on a daily basis, acknowledging
>> the extraordinary importance TDF's virtual presence has for our
>> collective needs.

> I've some thoughts to throw in.

> This touches several topics which I will handle within several mails:
> - Current state and needs of the admin team

++++++++++++Citing §8:++++++++++++++++++++
Officers
========

§8. Systems and Administrative Officer
 1. The board will contract, or alternatively hire if more
    economical/practical, resources for professional, secure, and
    timely maintenance of TDF's central IT infrastructure. The board
    acknowledges that TDF's virtual presence and web pages are one of
    its most valuable assets, and thus need attention beyond what can
    reasonably be expected from pure volunteer work.

I can't see where the current admin team - plain volunteer based - did
not cover the above mentioned requirements. Until now all services were
available with reasonable uptime and quality. Please correct me in
case I'm wrong.

We're constantly working to improve our team and it's work apart from
keeping all services running.

Two main tasks we work on for the moment:
1. Rebuild our systems to make involvement of new admins more smooth:
   we regularly get offers from high skilled admins to help us doing
   administrative tasks. One of those - Alin - is already active ;o))
   So it's not a question of manpower to grow our team, but a question to
   adapt our systems to integrate new admins step by step. Some work to do
   on that, some work already done.

2. Getting rid of "single points of failure" for both: our technical
   infrastructure and our personal one. We are underway achieving this
   some work to do, some already done. ;o))

I don't see, how an "Officer" can really help with regard to §8. The
Problem mentioned there doesn't exist from my point of view.

Friedrich
--
Friedrich Strohmaier
- Admin team -