Hi

Am 04.09.20 um 13:17 schrieb Michael Meeks:

>       ..
>       + Do you think we expand the membership by accpting
>         more marginal contributions for membership cf.
>         https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Membership_Role#Contributing

As § 10 (3) of our statutes read "The details of the induction and exclusion
from the Board of Trustees shall be regulated by a community by-law from the
Board of Directors..."
So I see just a little influence of the MC on this. It's rather at the BoD to
make things clear on this topic.

> * Do you believe we should have a half-way house / badge
>   between membership and non-membership that encourages
>   a person, and gives the a path via more contribution to
>   achieve full membership ?

No. Purpose? You do contribute - then you qualify for application. I've see
rather the opposite view: People contributing a lot but don't feel that this
qualifies them to apply. And even if they knew that they qualify, they often
ask "Why should I do so?"

> * When there are no concrete metrics (such as translated strings,
>   code commits, wiki changes, ask comments, etc.) available to
>   decide on a person's contribution; what is best practice for
>   MC members vouching for their friends' contributions, and how
>   should other MC members validate that ?

Interesting question. For example myself - no translated strings,
code commits, wiki changes, ask comments, etc. at least in the last few years.
And there are even more persons fitting into that schedule (beside their work
payed for by the TDF).
Seems high time to discuss this community by-law.

> * To what degree should the MC's decisions & discussion
>   be transparent (ie. publicly available) ?

Afaik the decisions are publicly available and send out per mail to all members
every three month :-) - and this is btw more than the BoD does ;-) .
The metrics used by the MC - as far as metrics apply - should be also available
for the public (btw: Aren't they?). For the rest: Perhaps we need better
defined criteria (c.f. community by-law). Normally these "soft" engagements are
in public and so per definition traceable for the public.
Other way round: Threw out Mike Sch. just because his work can't be seen (by
it's very nature) publicly? At least in a few cases some trust in the decisions
of the mc seems unavoidable. Questions or public discussion should always be
possible, but not get the standard procedure.

> * How do you believe we can improve the existing election
>   system - assuming the statutes can be tweaked ?

To solve what problem? Wasn't this...

>       + I'm interested in where we have the situation that
>         being too popular can stop you being able to
>         engage at all as a deputy - as we saw with
>         Miklos/Jona in the last MC election, and Kendy
>         in the last Board election.

...a clear matter of § 8 (4) of the statutes to avoid a CoI?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Uwe Altmann