Hi Alex,

thank you for "ruffling some feathers", this is exactly what we need!

If the community stays silent then to some it may seem that everything is OK, we need the whole community to be more vocal and to tell us what they think should be improved.

Your email raises 3 main concerns:

*1) Support offering from commercial entities*
There isn't much we can do in this area as each company chooses its own business model.

Offering a SLA to fix a bug could mean spending a day in fixing and testing the patch as it may mean weeks of development and testing so it isn't that easy to price it for SMEs.

Maybe one day, when they'll have enough subscribers to their services, they will be to offer different SLA to SMEs but that's entirely up to them.

*2) Market differentiation Community/Commercial offering*
In your last email you seem to say that you spotted difference in features between the version you used.

Apart from the Java bundling issue (thanks for pointing to a potential solution and to Andras for the explanation) is there anything else that you think we should look at?

In terms of brands I agree that it may be confusing.

Anyone could compile LibreOffice and stick it on an app store and there are products out there that we can see they are built from LibreOffice. It's FLOSS so as long as they don't claim it's an official LibreOffice package and don't use our brands then anyone can do it.

In that situation the resulting product with its own brand could have more or less features but that's going to be the packager choice.

To create more clarity I think we should to start building on the internal skills we already have to ensure we can deliver LibreOffice "by TDF" to our community in the app stores regardless of the choices commercial entities may want to make.

Talks have been in progress for a while so if you'd like to influence the process please let us know what you think.

Another thought is related to the eventual cost of the app on the app stores.

TDF already fulfils its duty by making LibreOffice available for free from our web site.

The app store is a very convenient way for users to install LibreOffice but the whole process adds extra costs and issues as rules and procedures can change often.

Would it be OK for the community to exchange convenience for a TBD monetary contribution, made from the app store and going directly to TDF, which would be equivalent to a donation?

*3) TDF direct involvement in development*
What you said in regards to development which may or may not follow some of the preferences that corporate contributors may have is indeed a potential issue.

There are many contributions coming from volunteers that follow their own interests, issues they want to fix or even languages that most haven't thought about adding yet, Klingon being one of a few (majQa'!).

While there are new features and fixes coming up all the time from all types of contributors most of what TDF can do at present to address issues that are not taken in consideration by others is to create tenders.

While tenders are a good tool to get specific and generally complex things done, often out of reach in terms of complexity for a single contributor, it is a slow process to get the tenders written, evaluated, voted on and then get the results delivered.

While we need to go through that process for some new development, I believe we should also start employing a team of internal developers that can take care of many bugs and features that have a level of complexity that is in between what single contributors/small teams can provide us with and what a tender to a larger team can deliver.

That would also allow us to build the internal skills and capacity we may need in case a large contributor decides to focus on other things and probably to respond more quickly to bugs and to requests like yours.

I hope I've provided good answers to your questions so let me know if my opinion, and what I would like to promote within the board, matches your expectations or something more/different needs to be done.

Ciao

Paolo