Hi Andreas, all,

let me address your questions as how I can summarise the intentions &
discussions we've had, over the past months. Other board members can
chime in and explain their take.

Andreas Mantke wrote:
> Thus it is not possible to make a contribution or a potential
> contribution for such a project within TDF resources.

Not while the project is in the attic, no. That is the entire point
for an attic - communicate to the world out there, that currently at
least, this very project is not actively developed at TDF.

The Readme as suggested in the proposal text gives some concrete ways
how to get it out of there though!

> Because it is not possible to make a pull request or to work on a branch
> of the attic project on TDF resources, the work on that project has to
> be done somewhere else.

Yes. Unmaintained projects are a risk to have in a software supply
chain, so experiments to re-vitalise should happen on the side. If
then still someone uses that in production, at least TDF is not the
upstream source for it.

> The developers which work on that project need to organize their work
> inside that new environment. They will already organize their workflow
> and communication channels.

The easiest (and for many developers, most convenient & accustomed)
venue for that are gitlab or github. To me, that is zero obstacles.
You can even give both platforms a remote git repo to clone from,
that's, like, two clicks and a paste.

> And thus the question pops up, why they should invest their (volunteer)
> work time to ask for moving the project onto TDF resources, change their
> workflow etc. and transfer everything onto TDF resources and under the
> hat and control of TDF.

My personal take is - that is very little effort, compared to actually
developing. But of course it helps if there's community interest, in
pushing/advocating the re-opening.

In the past at least, there was interest in having projects hosted at
TDF. It comes with good name recognition, and a large and diverse
community. I suspect the positive marketing effects would be
noticeable, when reviving an atticised project, and therefore (as a
developer myself) don't see a problem here.

> Thus if TDF moves a project to the attic a steel door is locked behind
> it with a lot of locks. It will be unlikely that such a project will get
> back to live inside the TDF environment.

I don't think that follows at all (and in fact has very little to do
with realities out there - every github project would then be
essentially locked, since one needs to fork it to be able to commit).

For developers willing to revive a project, finding a place to host a
repo is trivial. Doing the development work and getting up to speed in
large code bases, is where the challenges lie.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten