Hi Simon,

thanks for bringing up those points.

On 24/06/2022 11:49, Simon Phipps wrote:
Hi Franklin,.

Why is this better than working with the version Collabora (who actually contribute to TDF's work) maintain?

I believe that Collabora has been explicitly asked a few time if they were available to contribute back to LOOL but we never received any answer or signs of goodwill.

OSSII has been working on a fork of LOOL for quite a while and is kindly offering to share it back for the community to enjoy it.

They also offer a commercial version so it will be important to set clear rules to avoid the conflicts we have seen in the past.

Why should TDF hire developers to maintain code for the Taiwanese government?

IMHO, unless we are talking about quick fixes, in-house developers should not focus on LOOL.

However there could be opportunities to develop synergies with OSSII and the Taiwanese community on CJK issues as together with RTL bug fixes will enable a couple of billion people to use LibreOffice properly in their own languages.

Sincerely.

Simon

Ciao

Paolo