-1

I think BoD should handle LOOL repository according to attic / deattic
policy, measuring how many people devote their time to improve the code and
make release happen, instead of based on how many people want it, by
replying +1.

Just check our own marketing material [1] that compares LibreOffice and
Apache OpenOffice on the number of releases and code changes. That's what
attic policy is trying to avoid. And I bet it's far from enough just
satisfying the deattic threshold in order to be an active project. For the
project to sustain, you'll need core developers, regular contributors, and
other newbies who have potential to make contribution. Based on my
observation, LOOL has none of them now.

Given that repositories of LOOL, LODE, OSSII are competing the scarce
resources, i.e. developers.
As a developer, I'll choose the project that is most active to contribute
to and advice others to do so. I tried to make few patches for Apache
Office even after I had started to contribute to LibreOffice many years
ago. I stopped doing so because it took  me more than twice effort since
the code had diverged. Not to mention that developers need to collaborate
with each other. Considering these, I think LOOL under TDF little chance to
grow again. I'd advice accept the fact that the developer community has
moved away. Just let it go as if it had never happened. Do better and form
a robust developer community first next time.

OTOH, I think the idea of facilitating access to information and
communication is admirable. It's worth us to brainstorm the method to
achieve the goal. There are other technology worth considering, for
example, investing on Android version or WebAssembly port of LibreOffice.
LOOL need not to be the only solution. It is not even a feasible solution
at the moment.

Best regards.

[1] https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/

Daniel A. Rodriguez <drodrig...@libreoffice.org> 於 2022年7月11日 週一 凌晨4:42寫道: