To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
At 9:35 AM -0500 11/3/07, Dave Ellingsberg wrote:
>This is not so much a SE issue as it is a pure of heart issue.  For
>way too long the Mac has been invincible, I can click on anything,
>you can not hurt me!  This adds to the newbie issue as those buying
>into the gullible mac attitude are invincible!  So it adds to the
>End-Loser problem.  Now we see a shift in targeting and lo the
>invincible are to be subjected to the Kryptonite of the Internet
>underworld.  And without the antibodies of common sense that those
>of us who have prowled the gutters of the mighty M$.
>
>There is no way to wake up those who have come to slurp up the
>invincible theme anymore than you can change that attitude of those
>who think M$ is better because it is a GUI interface to servers an
>therefore anyone can do it safe and secure [well I have not heard
>those last two things come up when it time to switch!].
>
>Most on this list have years of experience supporting groups of the
>above, in all 4 categories.
>We are called on to clean up the messes after the clickers and
>planners.  We are all reactive in one way or another.  Keep thinking
>about it, ProActive is really not attainable, but its a good goal!
>
>bigfoot.

Dave,

I know there are some Mac users that think and act like that.
However, I think some of the "nanny nanny do do" attitudes toward
Windows is just like kids in the school yard.  I actually believe
that more Windows users believe that Mac users feel and act that way
than Mac users do.

I know many current Mac users and most are unlike your
characterizations (and unlike my mother who does not have admin
access).  Most are happy that the Mac (like its underpinnings of BSD
Unix) comes out of the box with ports closed and root not even
enabled. Most don't operate day to day as admin. In my experience,
most are more careful and diligent than your average PC user on
clicking on unknown links and operating their machines in general.

Both your data and mine are anecdotal but I'm willing to bet that
some university person on this list can do a study and prove one of
us wrong. ;-)

However, I still have not been provided with a compelling argument
that out of the box Windows is in security even equal to Mac or
Solaris or Linux. That might be part of the issue.

I hope we can get away from this Windows/Mac/Unix/Solaris/Linux whose
perceived to be safer and get back to real issues like whats the
vector and how we all can mitigate/manage it.

Tom