For some reason, GMail decided to actually turn the www.example.com
part of that string into a link (first one I've noticed it do,) which
suggests that Google at least will recognise some of these URLs and
possibly cache/scan them (prevention of which is what I thought at
least one premise behind breaking them was for.)

If it's munging that's easily reversible (especially for automated
scripts) that's required, perhaps ROT13? Anyone using Firefox may find
the LeetKey addon useful.

uggc://jjj.rknzcyr.pbz

--
PJH